- This event has passed.
Meet My Religious Neighbor: Celebration of Holi
March 8, 2020 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
The “Meet My Religious Neighbor” open-house series continues March 8 with the celebration of Holi, beginning at 11am at the Hindu Temple and Cultural Center, 33916 155th Lane, Madrid Iowa 50156.
Holi is an important occasion in the Hindu tradition. The festival signifies the arrival of spring, the end of winter, and the beginning of a good spring harvest season. For many, it is a festive day to meet others, play and laugh, forget and forgive.
Join us at the Hindu Temple for fun, food, and prayer. Meet your host and guide Anu Akella at 11 am for Holika Pooja (prayers). Throwing the colors will begin after Noon, followed by dancing to Bollywood music. Stay for lunch, served at 1 pm.
All are welcome and encouraged to attend. Here are a few tips to make your experience fully enjoyable.
- The times provided for activities are tentative. Be prepared for delays.
- You are encouraged to take photos outside during Holi celebrations, but photography is forbidden inside the temple.
- Throwing colors is fun and you will get messy. Wear white or light colored clothes so the colors will show better. But be sure you don’t care if those clothes get stained.
- Bring a towel or sheet to cover your car seats before driving home.
- Bring cash to buy a delicious, traditional Indian meal. Funds help support the Temple’s maintenance and operations.
- Please remove your shoes before entering the Temple. You are welcome to keep socks on or enter barefoot.
- Please note: All Hindu Temples request that women not enter the temple at the time of their menstrual period.